Ratatouille can seem intimidating, but it is relatively simple to prepare but sure to impress. Consider serving it with gluten-free pasta to round out the meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of prepared tomato sauce or marinara
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add eggplant; stir until coated with oil. Add peppers; stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini and herbs; mix well. Cover and cook over low heat about 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender but not too soft. Serves 4.
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 341 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 33 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 18 g
Protein: 4 g