Pineapple-Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Cooking Spray
- All-purpose flour for dusting the pan
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 8-ounce cans of crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 18.25-ounce box spice cake mix
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (not pie filling)
- ¾ cup egg substitute or 6 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla, butter and nut flavoring
- 2 teaspoons honey
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Lightly spray a 10-inch Bundt pan or tube pan with cooking spray. Dust with the flour, lightly coating. Shake off the excess. Sprinkle the pecans in the pan.
Set a colander over a liquid measuring cup. Pour the pineapple into the colander and use a spoon to drain the juice into the cup. Spoon the pineapple over the pecans.
Add enough water to pineapple juice to equal 1 1/3 cups. Combine juice and remaining ingredients, except honey, in a large mixing bowl (these ingredients replace the eggs, oil and water called for in the packaged mix). Follow the mixing directions on the package.
Pour batter over pineapple. Bake for 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let the pan cool for 20 minutes.
Invert pan onto serving plate. Let cool completely, at least 1 hour. Drizzle honey over the top of the cake, allowing it to dribble down sides. Makes 20 servings.
Total fat: 4.5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Sodium: 190 mg
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3 g