Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 1 lb ground hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 oz (about 4-5 cups) baby spinach, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 2 (32 oz) containers low sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz bag fresh cheese tortellini
- Shaved parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat sausage in a large dutch oven or stock pot to medium-high heat. Cook 4-5 minutes, until browned. Drain sausage and set aside.
- Place pot back on stove and heat to medium-high. Add oil and garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in spinach and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add beans, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken broth into pot; bring to a boil. Add tortellini; reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer, about 7-8 minutes, until tortellini is cooked. Add cooked sausage. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve and garnish with parmesan cheese.