Coconut and Squash Quinoa Curry
- 1 ½ cups dry quinoa
- 8 cups unsalted vegetable stock, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3-4 lbs.), peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. yellow or red curry paste + more if desired
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup gouda
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions, using broth instead of water.
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot to medium-high. Add onion and saute 4-5 minutes, until it starts to soften. Add butternut squash and saute an additional 8-10 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds. Add remaining vegetable stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until squash is tender. Using a [stick] blender, puree the sauce, reserving a few cubes of squash, if desired. Stir in the curry paste, coconut milk and salt. Blend until incorporated.
- Pour the sauce over the quinoa and stir in the squash pieces, if using, and the cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.