UW Health Rehabilitation Hospital
Main Phone Number:
5115 N. Biltmore Lane
Madison, WI 53718
The dedicated Stroke Recovery Unit at the UW Health Rehabilitation Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, offers a comprehensive approach for the treatment and recovery of individuals affected by a stroke. Our dedicated multi-disciplinary stroke treatment team offers expertise in medical and functional rehabilitation management with the goal of returning each individual to their highest level of function possible.
Each patient and family has a program tailored specifically to their individual needs.
Common Functional Problems Treated
- The inability to walk
- Weakness or loss of limb movement
- Difficulty with coordination and balance
- Difficulty moving from one surface to another (e.g., from the bed to a chair or from a chair to the tub)
- The inability to control bowel and bladder function
- Difficulty with daily activities such as eating, grooming, dressing, bathing or household chores
- The inability to swallow
- Problems with memory, thought processes, decision making or reasoning
- Difficulty communicating with others
- Emotional problems associated with serious illness or injury
- The inability to pursue recreational activities
Admission Criteria for Stroke
The staff of the UW Health Rehabilitation Hospital tailors intensive therapeutic and educational programs for individuals who:
- Have a physical impairment caused by stroke that requires multidisciplinary rehabilitative services and also have a reasonable expectation of improvement
- Have a relatively unchanging medical status, are not ventilator dependent, and can participate in a complete rehabilitation program within a reasonable length of time after admission
A treatment team of physicians, therapists, nurses and speech pathologists works closely together to help each patient reach his or her full potential. This multidisciplinary team meets regularly to evaluate and help the patients achieve their short- and long-term goals. The patient's family members are encouraged to participate in their loved one's rehabilitation process.
Patients and their families receive counseling and instruction in many important areas to help facilitate the readjustment to a fulfilling lifestyle. Topics of discussion include:
- Understanding the medical, physical and emotional effects of stroke
- The adjustment to disability
- The availability and use of adaptive equipment
- Equipment maintenance
- Community resources
- Community reintegration
We also help to make referrals for services from community, state and federal agencies such as the Social Security Administration, the Division of Aging, Meals-On-Wheels and home health care agencies.
Discharge Planning and Follow-Up
To ensure each patient's progress after he or she leaves the medical center, our rehabilitation staff coordinates services such as outpatient therapy, residential treatment or home therapy. We also make referrals to local, state and federal agencies for vocational opportunities, support groups and financial assistance.
Stroke Information and Resources