- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper or roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced seasoned tomatoes*
- 5 cups fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) undrained great northern beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) drained black beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup buckwheat groats (Kasha)**
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add peppers and garlic. Cook until tender. Add all remaining ingredients except kasha, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add kasha and continue cooking for 10 - 15 minutes or until kasha is tender. Add additional broth to thin to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add extra chili powder if desired.
** Pearled barley may be substituted for the buckwheat groats but cooking time would need to be increased.
Note: Cooked Italian sausage or ground beef could be added if desired.
Total fat: 4g
Saturated fat: 1g