Protect Yourself from Sun Damage
UW Health Eau Claire Family Medicine wants you to know how important it is to protect your skin from the sun's damaging rays.
Are you ready for the sun?
Here are a few tips for your safety in the sun:
Eau Claire Family Medicine faculty physicians
- Use sunscreen liberally and often. Sunscreen with a SPF of at least 15 applied at least 30 minutes prior to sun exposure offers the best protection.
- You can get sunburned on cloudy and wintry days. Up to 80 percent of ultraviolet radiation comes though cloud cover.
- Never use sunlamps, tanning booths, tanning pills or sun accelerators.
- Skin damage begins as soon as the skin is exposed to the sun, not just with a sunburn.
- Use sunglasses that offer broad spectrum ultraviolet (UVA/UVB) protection.
- The sun's rays reach through as many as three feet of clear water and six to eight inches of lake water.
- More than 10 minutes of direct sunlight is dangerous for a newborn.
- Even people with naturally darker skin can develop skin cancer.
- 80 percent of sun damage occurs before the age 18.
- After the tan or sunburn fades the cellular damage remains. Sun damage is accumulative.
More about UW Health Eau Claire Family Medicine
The physicians and staff of UW Health Eau Claire Family Medicine provide comprehensive health care for every member of your family. Our services include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of medical concerns such as respiratory, eye, ear and throat problems, injuries, skin rashes and acne, bladder infections, stomach pain and diarrhea.
- Men’s general health care, such as health maintenance exams, testicular exams and contraceptive information/ counseling.
- Women’s general health care, such as pelvic exams, menstrual irregularities/pain, pregnancy tests/counseling, breast exams and contraceptive counseling.
- General and athletic physical exams.
- Immunizations and vaccinations.
- On-site laboratory and X-rays.
- Tuberculosis skin testing
- Minor office surgical and orthopedic procedures.
- Osteopathic manipulative treatments.
- Electrocardiograms and interpretation.
- 24-hour physician oncall coverage.
- 20 Family practice physicians.
UW Health Eau Claire Family Medicine is a participating provider for:
- Group Health
- Security Health
- Badger Care
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Medical Assistance