Social Work Staff
In addition to comprehensive medical care, UW Hospital and Clinics offers the skills of social workers who work with both our inpatients and outpatients.
Our Master's degree-prepared social workers work across medical disciplines and are available to help with:
- Advocating for patients and families
- Providing guardianship information
- Identifying and providing information on community resources
- Counseling patients and families to assist them with emotional and psychological distress
- Coping with grief, loss and bereavement
- Providing education about and assisting in the completion of Advance Medical Directives
- Finding support to manage difficult family or social situations
- Negotiating the health care system and understanding treatment options
- Accessing substance abuse treatment
- Arranging for post-hospital placements and services
- Leading patient or family support groups
- Addressing issues of family violence and abuse
As a members of the health care team, social workers focus on assisting patients and families with the stresses associated with illnesses and their impact on everyday life.
For More Information
If you would like to speak with a social worker, please ask your doctor or nurse or call our Continuity of Care office at (608) 263-8667.