What Does Vitamin C Do for Your Skin?
Advice from our Jeune Skin Care aestheticians:
In skin care, vitamin C has a unique status, and it's one of our favorite products. Here's why:
- Vitamin C helps with collagen production and maintenance
- It's a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals in the skin
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin C brightens dull skin
What Should I Look For In My Vitamin C Product?
- Is there enough vitamin C in the product for it to work? Studies have shown that L-ascorbic acid must be at least a percentage of 10 percent to benefit the skin, and 20 percent is optimal for absorption.
- Is the pH low enough to allow absorption? To be absorbed, the pH level needs to be very low. If the pH is too high, lower amounts of vitamin C can be absorbed. The ideal serum pH is 2.0-3.0.
- What does the label say? Look for L-ascorbic acid. L-ascorbic is the purest, most potent and easily absorbed vitamin C. If your vitamin C can be combined with ferulic and vitamin E, that's a major BONUS! Ferulic acid acts like other antioxidants in that it helps to slow the aging process by reducing the effects of damaging free radicals on the skin. In addition, it has the benefit of working well alongside other antioxidants, enhancing the stability and the efficacy of vitamins C and E.
Top Vitamin C Products We Love
Bonus: throughout November 2019, get 15% off SkinCeuticals products!
- SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic - regular price: $166*; November 2019 discount price: $141.10*
- SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF - regular price: $166*; November 2019 discount price: $141.10*
- SkinCeuticals Serum 20% Antioxidant - regular price: $121*; November 2019 discount price: $102.85*
- Revision Vitamin C 30% - regular price: $119*
* Prices current as of November 2019; all prices subject to change