What Does Vitamin C Do for Your Skin?
Advice from our Jeune Skin Care aestheticians:
Are all Vitamin C Products the Same?
Unfortunately, all vitamin C products are not created equal. First, vitamin C is L-ascorbic acid. Many products claim to be vitamin C and have names such as magnesium ascorbyl phosphate or ascorbyl palmitate, but are not truly vitamin C.
Studies have shown that these other ingredients do not significantly increase levels of vitamin C in the skin and are not even recognized as vitamin C by our bodies. For vitamin C to be truly effective in repairing signs of aging or give us other benefits, it must be able to penetrate and be absorbed by the body.
What Should I Look For In My Vitamin C Product?
- Is there enough vitamin C in the product for it to work? Studies have shown that L-ascorbic acid must be at least a percentage of 10 percent to benefit the skin, and 20 percent is optimal for absorption.
- Is the pH low enough to allow absorption? To be absorbed, the pH level needs to be very low. If the pH is too high, lower amounts of vitamin C can be absorbed. The ideal serum pH is 2.0-3.0.
- What does the label say? Look for L-ascorbic acid. L-ascorbic is the purest, most potent and easily absorbed vitamin C. If your vitamin C can be combined with ferulic and vitamin E, that's a major BONUS! Ferulic acid acts like other antioxidants in that it helps to slow the aging process by reducing the effects of damaging free radicals on the skin. In addition, it has the benefit of working well alongside other antioxidants, enhancing the stability and the efficacy of vitamins C and E.
Vitamin C has a unique status that:
- helps with collagen production and maintenance
- has a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals in the skin
- reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- brightens dull skin
March Discount - 20% Off All Vitamin C Products
Top Vitamin C Products We Love
- SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic - regular price: $166
- SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF - regular price: $166
- SkinCeuticals Serum 20% Antioxidant - regular price: $121
- Revision Vitamin C 30% - regular price: $119