Capital Yes! Weekend: June 26-28
There's fun to be had at the Capital Yes! Weekend
What do a barbecue, baseball game, luncheon, workshops and run/walk have in common? They are all part of the Capital Yes! weekend being held July 26-28 in Madison.
Knowing that the National Kidney Foundation U.S. Transplant Games were on hiatus, the National Kidney Foundation of Wisconsin (NKFW) decided something special needed to happen in Wisconsin in 2012.
Continuing the great fellowship and focus on donation Wisconsin experienced during the Transplant Games, and at the 2011 Capital City Run/Walk for Organ, Tissue and Eye Donation, NKFW built a special weekend called Capital Yes!
"We have such a wonderful group of recipients, donor families, living donors, volunteers and transplant and donation professionals in this state," said Cindy Huber, NKFW Chief Executive Officer. "I thought it was imperative to build another event that brings these people together."
Several organizations, all members of Donate Life Wisconsin, joined NKFW and formed a committee to plan and execute the weekend activities. The weekend culminates at the 2012 Capital City Run/Walk for Organ, Tissue and Eye Donation, which starts at the Capitol Square and ends with a splash at a private party at Goodman Pool.
Registration for the Weekend
- Visit capitalcity5K.org to register for the Capital City 5K Run/Walk and the Capital Yes! Legacy Of Life Luncheon and Workshops. Registration fee for the Capital City 5K Run/Walk is $30 online through July 25 ($35 onsite on July 27 and 28.)
- The Legacy of Life Luncheon and Workshops are organized by and offered FREE OF CHARGE compliments of the National Kidney Foundation of Wisconsin.
- Pre-registration for the Legacy of Life Luncheon and Workshops is required. Registration available via telephone: 1-800-543-6393, ext. 12 or through capitalcity5k.org. Deadline to register for luncheon/workshops: Friday, July 20.
Schedule of Activities and Volunteer Opportunities
Thursday, July 26
4:30- 6:30pm: Open house and tours of Restoring Hope Transplant House
Join your friends or make some new ones at Restoring Hope Transplant House during this casual summer gathering. Light food and refreshments compliments of Restoring Hope Transplant House. No RSVP necessary.
Friday, July 27
4-6pm: Run/walk packet pickup, The Sheraton Hotel, 706 John Nolen Drive, Madison
7pm: Donate Life Night with the Madison Mallards
Gates open at 5:30; game time is 7 pm. Free game tickets to anyone who volunteers at any of the Capital Yes! Weekend events. Contact Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, July 28
8am-noon: Donation/Registry promo event at Farmer's Market, Capitol Square
NKFW, with assistance from RTI Donor Services and Dottie Donor Dot's team will be staffing a Registry table at the Farmer's Market on the Capitol Square. Volunteers needed: Contact Jessica Schrauth, RTI Donor Services at: (608) 335-6807.
11:15am: Guest Check-in Opens for luncheon and workshops at The Sheraton
11:15-11:45am: Visit Donation and Transplant-related Exhibits, The Sheraton
Meet representatives from Donate Life-Wisconsin organizations and learn about local volunteer opportunities and events to promote donation.
NOON: Legacy of Life Luncheon
You'll be inspired by individuals from throughout the area who are being honored for promoting awareness of donation or serving as ‘donation champions' in their communities.
12:55-2pm: Legacy Workshops
During these workshops, you will meet and talk with others who believe in the hope that organ, tissue or eye donation brings to those who are still waiting for their gift of life.
- Workshop 1: Honoring the Legacy
Make your own legacy flag as a tribute to the one who donated the gift of life. Bring pictures, poems or small symbolic items to attach to your flag. Flag-making supplies will be provided. A commemorative ceremony honoring donors will be held at 5:30pm at the Capitol Square before the start of the Capital City 5K Walk/Run. Facilitated by: Aurora Health Care, ATS Foundation, UW OPO
- Workshop 2: Just the Facts and the Stats
Whether you are talking to one person or a group, you will want to know about Wisconsin's Donor Registry and the current facts and statistics about donation. Learn how to use Facebook and other social media to tell your story. Facilitated by: Staff of BloodCenter of Wisconsin-Wisconsin Donor Network
- Workshop 3: Where in the World is Dottie?
After this workshop, you will have new ideas on how to proote donation when you go back home. Hear personal experiences from donor family members, transplant recipients and even the escorts of Dottie Donor Dot, Wisconsin's donation mascot
2-3pm: Legacy workshops repeat
4-6pm: Packet pick up/Walk-in registration for run/walk, Goodman Park
7pm: Capital City 5K begins, Capitol Square
- Capital YES! Weekend hotel room rates ($79/night) are available at The Sheraton Hotel. Call (608) 251-2300 by July 6, 2012, to receive this special rate, and be sure to mention Capital City 5K.
- Need additional information? Contact: Meghan Gauger at email@example.com, or 800-543-6393, ext 12