HIV 101: Resources
HIV/AIDS Comprehensive Care Program Contact Information
Are you interested in learning more about HIV? The UW Health HIV/AIDS Comprehensive Care Program recommends the web resources listed below as reputable sources of information on HIV. Please note that these resources are not intended as a substitute for medical advice. Please contact your provider with any specific medical concerns.
State and Local HIV/AIDS Resources
- AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin (ARCW) - Social services, dental care, housing assistance and other services for people living with HIV
- Wisconsin AIDS/HIV Program - Information on ADAP-AIDS Drug Assistance Program and Insurance Assistance Program, surveillance data on the HIV epidemic in Wisconsin
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Information on HIV basics, such as transmission, testing, and prevention
- AIDSinfo - A U.S. government service that offers information on HIV treatment and research
- HIV Drug Guide - A look at the antiretroviral therapies available for treating HIV, including photos of medications as well as physician and activist comments. From Positively Aware, an HIV treatment journal.
- HIV.gov - Access to HIV policies, programs, and resources through digital media
Comprehensive HIV Information for Patients
- The Body.com - A complete online HIV/AIDS educational resource collected from leading organizations and experts. Read personal stories of people affected by HIV.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - HIV/AIDS statistics and surveillance data, information on HIV and special populations, HIV prevention, fact sheets and infographics
- >AIDS (Greater than AIDS) - Information about HIV prevention, testing and treatment to increase knowledge and understanding and confront the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS. Emphasis on hope, unity and personal empowerment.
- AIDSource - Source for easy access to HIV-related information both within and outside of the federal government. Developed by the NLM (National Library of Medicine)
For Healthcare Professionals
- National HIV Curriculum - Six self-study modules on HIV diagnosis, care and treatment, with interactive self-assessment questions. From the University of Washington and the AETC National Coordinating Resource Center.
- American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM) - A professional organization that supports HIV practitioners. Offers professional certification testing for HIV-focused credentials.
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (ANAC) - Professional organization for nurses providing HIV care. Information on HIV/AIDS nursing certification (ACRN).
- International Antiviral Society - USA (IAS USA) - Provides continuing medical education (CME) programs for physicians, as well as organizes the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI)
- Midwest AIDS Training + Education Center - Wisconsin (MATEC) – Provides continuing education and technical assistance to all members of the HIV care team
- AVAC - Global advocacy for HIV Prevention, with a focus on HIV prevention research
- International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care (IAPAC) - Education, research, technical assistance and advocacy activities for providers of care to people living with HIV
- UNAIDS - The Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, worldwide goals for HIV care and data collection on HIV epidemiology
- Clinical Care Options - Online continuing HIV medical education for healthcare providers, on co-occurring conditions, ARV management, challenging HIV cases and HIV controversies from HIVInsite
- Clinician Consultation Center - Free, expert advice for clinicians, clinics, and health systems in providing quality HIV/AIDS care
- Practice Point CME - Online continuing HIV medical education for healthcare providers from HIVInsite
- Physicians' Resource Network (PRN) - Peer support to physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants providing care to people with, and at risk for, HIV disease and/or viral hepatitis
- HIV Treatment Guidelines - Federally approved medical practice guidelines for HIV/AIDS
- InfoRed SIDA – Fuente de información sobre el tratamiento del VIH/SIDA y su prevención. Incluye hojas informativas, escritas con un lenguaje fácil de entender.
- infoSIDA - Información sobre tratamiento, prevención e investigación del VIH/SIDA
- The Body en español - Recursos comprehensivos sobre el VIH para la comunidad latina
- aidsmap - Material electrónica con información para personas que viven con el VIH
- Somos > SIDA (Somos más que SIDA) - Campaña de información para el público que sirve como respuesta a la epidemia de VIH/SIDA en EE.UU., con un enfoque en las áreas y las personas más afectadas
HIV Biomedical Prevention: PrEP and PEP
- PEP line and PrEP Line - Rapid, up-to-date clinical telephone consultation for PrEP and PEP decision-making
- PEP 101 - Explains how PEP (Post-Exposure prophylaxis) works to prevent HIV infection after being potentially exposed to HIV
- PrEP 101 - Explains what PrEP (Pre-Exposure prophylaxis) is, how it works to prevent HIV infection, and answers frequently asked questions about PrEP
- PrEP Facts.org - Specific information on PrEP tailored to specific populations
- What is PrEP? - Short video with information about PrEP and how it can work inside the body to prevent HIV infection
- PrEP in Wisconsin - Information on getting, and paying for, PrEP in Wisconsin