Caregiving: Overview of Personal CareSkip to the navigation
Helping someone with personal care involves a lot of daily tasks. If it's been a while since you did day-to-day caregiving-or you've never done it-you might not know all the things you need to do and how to do them. This information gives an overview of the daily or weekly care a person needs.
Bladder and bowel care
- Using adult underwear for incontinence
- Using a bedpan or urinal
- Using a bedside commode (toilet)
- Caring for an indwelling urinary catheter
Cleaning up and reducing germs
- Reducing germs and infection in the home
- Using disposable gloves
- Washing soiled clothes and linens
- Cleaning up diarrhea
Helping at meal time
Moving someone in bed
Personal care and grooming
- Dental care for older adults
- Hair washing and care
- Caring for fingernails
- Caring for feet and toenails
Primary Medical Reviewer Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Gayle E. Stauffer, RN - Registered Nurse
Current as ofOctober 6, 2017
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2018 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.