How to Collect Saliva using the Sarstedt Cortisol Salivette Device
Before you collect your saliva make sure that you follow these directions.
- Do not brush or floss teeth before collecting a saliva sample. Remove lipstick and lip balms.
- Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes before collecting the saliva sample.
- Allow yourself at least one hour during which you relax before collecting the sample. High activity or excitement will increase your cortisol level.
- Collect the sample as directed by your health care provider. Most often, it will be a bedtime collection.
Follow these steps to collect your saliva.
1. Remove the top cap of the tube to expose the round sponge.
Do not remove the holder that the sponge is sitting in.
2. Place the sponge directly into your mouth by tipping the tube so the sponge falls into your mouth. Do not touch the sponge with your fingers.
3. Keep the sponge in your mouth. Very gently chew and roll the sponge around in your mouth for 2 minutes. Spit the sponge back into the tube. Do not touch the sponge with your fingers.
4. Replace the cap. Make sure cap is on tightly.
5. On the Salivette® tube, write your full name, birth date, date of collection and collection time (use military time or note PM or AM). On the request form, write the date of collection and collection time (use military time or note PM or AM).
6. Refrigerate the Salivette® tube and take it to the laboratory within 3 days.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 02/19/2013
Copyright © 02/19/2013 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#6948
Print Health Fact For You