Excision of Ganglion Cyst
This surgery removes a cyst from your wrist.
- Plan to take off work for 1-7 days. The time you take off depends on your job as well as the location and severity of the cyst. Talk with your doctor about this.
- Do household and outdoor chores ahead of time, or make arrangements for someone to help you.
- Plan activities that do not require a lot of standing or lifting.
- Have meals ready that are easy to prepare.
- Have someone who can watch your children, if needed.
Making Plans For After Surgery
- Take it easy for a week.
- You will get instructions about showering before you go home.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing for a few days.
- You can resume your normal routine when you feel ready.
- You should not drive while you are taking narcotic pain medicine.
- You should not do any strenuous activity until you see your doctor at your first clinic visit.
- Avoid lifting with the affected hand for 2 weeks unless your doctor tells you differently.
- Check your incision daily for signs and symptoms of infection: increased redness or swelling, red or hot incision, foul smelling drainage, or a fever over 100°F
- Plan to see your surgeon in 5-7 days.
Call your doctor for any of these problems.
- Fever over 100°F for 2 readings taken 4 hours apart
- Excessive swelling
- Increased redness at incision site.
- Abnormal drainage like bleeding or pus from incision.
- Increasing pain.
Your doctor’s office number is (608) 26___________, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
After hours, holidays and weekends, this number will be answered by the paging operator. Ask for the doctor on call with Dr. _________________. Leave your name and phone number with the area code. The doctor will call you back.
The toll-free number is 1-800-323-8942.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 07/26/2011
Copyright © 07/26/2011 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#4764
Print Health Fact For You