Familial Lipid Disorders
Because familial lipid disorders are rare, your doctor may only suspect one if you have:
- Very high cholesterol levels. For example, LDL cholesterol might be over 190 mg/dL. Total cholesterol might be over 300 mg/dL.
- A family history of high cholesterol.
- A family history of early CAD.
- Certain results from a physical exam. These results include xanthomas, a skin condition in which small bumps of fat appear under the skin.
Your family doctor may not have much experience with familial lipid disorders, so you may have to see a specialist, such as an endocrinologist. And some cardiologists specialize in lipid disorders as well as heart problems.
Types of familial lipid disorders
There are different types of lipid disorders. They include:
- Familial combined hyperlipidemia (FCHL)
Familial defective apolipoprotein B-100
- High LDL (such as 160 to 300 mg/dL)
Familial dysbetalipoproteinemia (type 3
- High total cholesterol and high triglyceride levels (from 300 to 1,000 mg/dL)
- Very high triglycerides (such as 200 to 500 mg/dL)
Heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia
- High LDL (such as 190 to 350 mg/dL)
Other Works Consulted
- Brunzell JD (2010). Diagnosis and treatment of dyslipidemia. In EG Nabel, ed., ACP Medicine, section 9, chap. 6. Hamilton, ON: BC Decker.
- Genest J, Libby P (2008). Lipoprotein disorders and cardiovascular disease. In RO Bonow et al., eds., Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine, 9th ed., vol. 1, pp. 975–995. Philadelphia: Saunders.
- Grundy S, et al. (2002). Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) (NIH Publication No. 02–5215). Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health. Also available online: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3full.pdf.
|Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Robert A. Kloner, MD, PhD - Cardiology|
|Rakesh K. Pai, MD, FACC - Cardiology, Electrophysiology|
|Last Revised||June 29, 2012|
Last Revised: June 29, 2012
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.