Food Safety: CookingSkip to the navigation
It is important to cook foods at a safe temperature to avoid food poisoning. The following picture shows you safe temperatures for a number of foods.
Adapted from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service (2011). Safe Minimum Cooking Temperatures. Available online: www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html.
When cooking foods:
- Use a clean meat thermometer to determine whether meat, poultry, or egg dishes are cooked to a safe temperature. The picture above shows specific safe temperatures.
- Bring sauces, gravies, and soups to a boil when reheating. Reheat other leftovers to at least 165°F (74°C).
- When using a microwave oven, cover the food container, and turn or stir the food to make sure it is heated evenly throughout. If the microwave does not have a turntable, rotate the dish by hand once or twice during cooking.
- Cook eggs until whites and yolks are firm.
- Do not eat raw or partially cooked eggs (including cookie dough), raw (unpasteurized) milk, cheeses made with raw milk, or unpasteurized juices.
- Do not eat undercooked hamburger, the main source of E. coli infection.
- Be aware of the risk of food poisoning from raw fish (including sushi), clams, and oysters. Cook fish and shellfish until it is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- When eating out at a restaurant, make sure foods are thoroughly cooked and are served hot.
Other Works Consulted
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (2011). Fact sheet. Safe food handling: Basics for handling food safely. Available online: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets/Basics_for_Handling_Food_Safely/index.asp.
Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer W. David Colby IV, MSc, MD, FRCPC - Infectious Disease
Current as ofMay 22, 2015
Current as of: May 22, 2015
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.