Surgical Weight Management Patient Resources
The UW Health Surgical Weight Management Program is committed to providing you the best care, including classes, support groups and online resources to help you and your family make informed decisions.
How can I get started?
- Contact the UW Health Medical Weight Management program: (608) 265-7090
- Attend a lifestyle class/support group
Weight Management Resources
- Getting Ready for Bariatric Surgery
- 10 Things You Can Do Today to Begin Preparing for Weight Loss Surgery
- Video: Introduction to Our Bariatric Surgery Program
- Track what you're eating with our Food and Supplement Record (pdf)
- Focus on your drinking habits for four weeks and build new healthy habits with our Beverage Tracker (pdf)
The Internet resources below can assist in informing you about bariatric surgery and help you learn about the impact the decision to have bariatric surgery can have on your life.
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Weight Control Information Network (WIN)
- National Institutes of Health - MedlinePlus
- American Diabetes Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Bariatrics 4 Diabetes
- Obesity Action Coalition
- Obesity Help
- American Obesity Association
- Obesity Law and Advocacy Center
- Check your Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Alexander, Cynthia. The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life after Bariatric Surgery (2nd Edition). Matrix Medical Communications, 2009.
- Cook, Colleen. The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients (3rd Edition). Bariatric Support Centers International, 2012.
- Engebretson, G. and Magnan, R. with forward by Dr. Michael Garren and Dr. Jon Gould. Fat No More: Long Term Success Following Weight Loss Surgery. G Notes LLC, 2008.
- Albers, Susan. 50 Ways To Soothe Yourself Without Food. New Harbinger Publications, Inc., 2012.
- Burns, David. Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. Quill, 2012.
- Albers, Susan. But I Deserve This Chocolate: The 50 Most Common Diet-Derailing and How to Outwit Them. New Harbinger Publications, Inc., 2011.
- Koenig, Karen. The Rules of Normal Eating. Gurze Books, 2005.
- May, Michelle. Am I Hungry? What To Do When Diets Don’t Work. Nourish Publishing, 2005.