Comprehensive Voice Evaluation
We perform comprehensive voice evaluations, which can include taking a history of the problem, visualization of the vocal folds, analysis of vocal sound and airflow, physical examination and trial therapies.
- A thorough review of the history of the patient's concern, as well as any medical, surgical, lifestyle, occupational, or emotional factors that might be related to the voice problem
- Observing the vocal folds with a camera and specialized light source, called videostroboscopy
- Observing the vocal folds with a high speed camera
- Analysis of the sound of the patient's voice (acoustic analysis)
- Analysis of airflow and air pressure during voice production (aerodynamic analysis)
- Manual assessment of tension in the muscles used to produce voice
- Trial therapy to help predict success and to determine the best method of therapy for the individual patient
- Other tests may be scheduled, as determined by your voice care team. This team initially includes an otolaryngologist and a speech-language pathologist, but may also include nursing, pulmonology, asthma/allergy, neurology, gastroenterology, audiology, psychology or radiology specialists.
Our staff also includes experienced acting coaches and singing teachers (including members of the National Association of Teachers of Singing), whose skills are utilized as needed.