UW Health ImageShare Process
UW Health ImageShare is a complimentary service designed to expedite image sharing between UW Health and partnering organizations.
A site-to-site VPN (virtual private network) or vendor based secure image exchange network is established that will allow for fast and secure two-way exchange of DICOM images. View an illustration of the VPN process (pdf)
UW Health ImageShare image handling support is provided by the UW Health Enterprise Imaging Department - Image Management and PACS teams.
Sending Images to UW Health
ImageShare Partner to UW Health Image Send Process:
- A provider from an ImageShare Partner location can contact their local image management department (often called "file room") and request that a patient study be sent to UW Health. The following information should be provided:
- Patient name, DOB and medical record number
- Information about the studies that should be transferred (dates, procedure types, image counts)
- A UW Health clinic or provider that should be notified (optional)
- The provider should let their file room know if the transfer is for Continuing Care, Urgent Surgical Review, Trauma/ER Transfer, Telestroke or other purpose/date needed by.
- The partner file room will send a Transfer Notification (pdf) fax to the UW Health Image Management with the details and the information specified above.
- The partner file room will send the images electronically (via the VPN or secure vendor network link) and record the transaction per HIPAA regulations.
- UW Health Image Management staff will confirm that all studies have arrived successfully and (if desired) acknowledge receipt to the sending facility.
Requesting Images from UW Health
ImageShare Partner Image Request Process (from UW Health):
- A provider may also request images from UW Health through their local "file room". The same information should be provided as for the Image Send Process (above).
- The partner file room will fax an Image Transfer Request (pdf) form to UW Health Image Management with study details and the information specified above.
- UW Health Image Management will send the requested studies and document the transfer via fax. The transfer will be recorded as per HIPAA regulations.
- UW Health does not require a fax receipt of images that are successfully transferred.
- If needed, unsuccessful transfers can be followed up via fax or phone call to UW Health - Image Management by local file room of the receiving/requesting facility.