Wild Rice with Cranberries and Almonds
Cook the rice ahead and put this together in minutes. It is attractive, so tasty and yet high in fiber and cancer-fighting phy
tonutrients. A bonus is that it keeps for more that a week in the refrigerator.
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked wild rice* or brown rice
- 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 cup diced green onions
- 1 large red apple, cored and chopped
- 1 cup almonds or other nuts of your choice, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, cook wild rice in boiling salted water for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Chill rice and refrigerate until ready to assemble salad. In a large bowl, combine rice, cranberries, and onions. Set nuts and apple aside.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine dressing ingredients. Cover and shake or mix with hand held blender. Pour over rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, add chopped apple and almonds.
* Note: If using wild rice, wash it well before cooking.
Total fat: 13g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Sodium: 25 mg
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 4 g