White Bean Soup with Fresh Spinach
White beans flavored with Italian sausage forms the base of this soup. The spinach or kale is added for extra color and texture. The great bonus is that the fresh greens are very high in vitamin A and lutein.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces low fat chicken or turkey Italian sausage, cut in ½ inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups fresh spinach or kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan or soup pan, heat oil. Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add sausage and cook until brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add broth, beans, potatoes, Italian seasoning, thyme, and white pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue to boil gently about 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Add spinach or kale. (If using kale, remove tough middle stem from kale leaves and chop the leaves.) Continue to boil about 5 minutes for spinach or 15 minutes for kale or until kale is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup in individual bowls and top with shredded cheese if desired.
Total fat: 14g
Saturated fat: 4g
Carbohydrates: 46 g