Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
This is one of those quick and easy recipes that is full of flavor and healthy too! Ham or sausage can also be added if desired.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (30 ounces) petite diced canned tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) canned pumpkin
- 2 can (15 ounces each) black beans*, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream, optional
- In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, beans, broth, and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Add sherry if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in individual bowl and garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
* Note: For more flavor, choose seasoned canned black beans or one can of seasoned beans and one can of regular black beans. Do not rinse the seasoned beans.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Total fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 2g
Carbohydrates: 46 g