Pistachio Breaded Salmon and Pasta Salad
There are many health benefits to the Mediterranean diet which includes eating more vegetables, fish, olive oil, and nuts. You can enjoy the best of the Mediterranean way with this healthful salad full of color and flavor.
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound penne pasta, 51 percent whole grain
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Greek olives
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese, optional
- Remove salmon from wrappings and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg with salt and pepper. Place panko bread crumbs with the chopped pistachios in another shallow bowl. Dip each piece of salmon in egg and then place each fillet in nut mixture. Press firmly to coat on both sides. Place on a plate and set aside. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Prepare dressing. In a small sauce pan, bring pomegranate juice to a boil. Continue to boil gently until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well mixed. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain well.
- In 4 individual serving dishes, layer spinach, pasta, pepper, olives, and feta cheese. Set aside.
- When ready to cook salmon, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a non stick skillet. Add salmon to the skillet and cook over medium heat until brown on both sides of each piece of salmon. Place skillet in oven and bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until salmon is cooked through. The time will depend on the thickness of the fillets. When salmon is done, place a salmon fillet on top of the spinach salad in each serving dish. Drizzle with dressing.
Total Fat: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 72 mg
Sodium: 616 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 48 g
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 17 g
Protein: 37 g