Pasta with Shrimp, Fresh Tomato and Basil
- 6 ounces penne pasta*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined**
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata or black olives
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup white wine, optional
- In a large saucepan, boil pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and Italian seasoning. Cook until vegetables are tender and are beginning to brown.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add basil, lemon juice, and cooked shrimp.
- Cook for 5 - 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and olives. Cook just until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add half of the cheese and wine if desired.
- Place hot pasta in large serving bowl or individual bowls and spoon sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese or pass additional cheese at the table.
*Choose a whole wheat pasta or Barilla Plus for extra fiber.
**Substitute cooked chicken if desired.
Total Fat: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 103 mg
Sodium: 777 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 46 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 8 g
Protein: 28 g