Asparagus, Chicken, Walnut Wild Rice Salad
This is a colorful, super tasty main course salad. Note all the healthful ingredients - fresh asparagus, red peppers, green onions, walnuts and fiber filled wild rice. The maple syrup makes the dressing very special.
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon, divided
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boned and skinned chicken breast halves, diced
- seasoned salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound asparagus, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Wash wild rice. In a medium saucepan, combine rice, 1 teaspoon of bouillon and 4 cups of water. Bring to boil. Cover pan, reduce heat and boil gently for 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain well. Spread out on a baking sheet until cool. Place in a large bowl.
- Cook white rice in a medium sauce pan with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon bouillon for 20 minutes. Cool and add to bowl with wild rice.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add chicken pieces, sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper, and cook over hot heat until brown and cooked through. Add to bowl with the rice.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook for 1 minute. Drain and chill under cold running water. Pat dry. Add to bowl with rice. Add red pepper, onions, and walnuts to the bowl.
- In a small food processor or using an immersion blender, combine dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth. Add to bowl with rice. Stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Make 10 cups.
Fat, gm. 10
Protein, gm. 17
Carbs, gm. 35
Cholesterol, mg. 30
Fiber, gm. 1.8