After Your Robotic Prostatectomy
Contact Our Clinic
- Take your temperature two to three times daily. If it's over 100.5 F, contact our office.
- Make sure your catheter is draining freely. Check the output bag routinely. If there is no drainage, you may irrigate the catheter with a Tomey syringe filled with 30 mL of sterile or distilled water. Inject the water through the larger port on the catheter into the bladder. Try to aspirate. You may not be able to pull back but the tube should start draining spontaneously. Your nurse will review these instructions with you again before you leave the hospital and send supplies home with you.
- If you get a feeling of fullness, your catheter may not be draining. Try to irrigate.
- Keep your catheter tubing secured to your upper thigh to prevent accidental dislodgement. This will also minimize your discomfort from the catheter.
- If you have any shortness of breath, chest pain or lower leg swelling, go to the emergency room.
- Be careful that your bowel movements remain soft. You will be given a stool softener to assist with this. Please avoid straining with bowel movements. Do not use suppositories or enema for several weeks after surgery.
- Do not lift anything more than 20 pounds for four weeks following surgery.
- Stay active by taking several small walks during the day. They are very important to your recovery.
- Do most of your sleeping at night.
- If your wound becomes red or has drainage, contact our office.
- Your appetite will be less than normal but you may eat anything you wish. For the first few days after surgery, we suggest eating five to six small meals throughout the day to avoid abdominal bloating.
- You may notice some leakage around the catheter, especially with bowel movements. This is normal. A slight bit of mucoid discharge is also common around the catheter.
- Scrotal swelling and/or perineal discomfort occurs temporarily in the majority of men after this procedure. This will typically last four to six weeks.
- You may also have some urine leakage with ejaculation initially.
- If you have any questions or concerns, contact us immediately.