Video Appointments with Your Healthcare Provider
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about video appointments through Frequently Asked Questions.
Review our user guide for helpful tips and resources on getting ready for your upcoming appointment.
Virtual appointments, or video appointments, let patients meet with their healthcare provider using a smartphone, tablet or computer with webcam. It’s an easy way to get great care from the comfort of home.
Your information and safety are carefully protected when you use telehealth services, just like an in-person appointment. Each visit is secure and compliant with all privacy regulations.
How Do Video Appointments Work?
When your video appointment is scheduled, you’ll get an email confirmation with instructions. Please complete the setup instructions prior to your appointment so you are ready and can troubleshoot in advance if needed.
How to Set Up for a Video Appointment
Set Up Instructions for the First Time You Have a Video Visit
You will need to finish setting up your phone or computer at least 48 hours before your appointment or as soon as possible. Please view set up directions here: Video Visit Guide
Additional information for your specific device is listed below:
Mobile device/smart phone (including tablets)
If you are using an iPad, after downloading the VidyoConnect App click this link for directions: Vidyo Instructions for iPad
A laptop or computer must have a camera or webcam, microphone and speakers, and use Google Chrome (Download Google Chrome Here).
- Make sure your microphone is not muted and the speaker volume is turned up.
- On a computer, be sure you are using the Google Chrome browser. If you do not have the browser, you can download it from Google through their website: https://www.google.com/chrome/
- If you are not able to click on the link in your email or text, you can copy and paste the full URL into Google Chrome: https://clinical.video.uwhealth.org/join/1zcN1SQSlx
- Need additional help? Call (608) 720-6111 between 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday.
Starting Your Video Appointment
- When your video appointment is scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email or text message. Please check your Spam or Junk folder if you do not receive this message at least two days prior to your appointment.
- From your confirmation email or text, click on the link listed to join the video room at the time of your appointment.
- A browser window will open. Click Join the call. If prompted, tell your device to open VidyoConnect.
- In the Display Name field, enter your name and click Join.
- If prompted, allow access to your microphone and camera.
- The screen may be dark when you start, please be patient until your provider arrives.
- When your visit is complete the provider will direct you to tap the red phone icon to end the visit.
Tips for a Great Visit
- Make sure your device is fully charged or is plugged in to a power source.
- Find a quiet, safe space free from interruptions.
- Choose a well-lit area with minimal background distractions or noise.
- Use Wi-Fi or a wired internet connection. If you use just a cellular signal, the video may be choppy during the visit.
- Make sure your camera is not covered and the microphone and speakers are on and the volume is turned up.
- Position your camera at eye level for the best interaction with your provider.
- Be patient when you first launch the visit. The screen, or room, may appear dark but your provider will be with your shortly.