Tactical Athlete Clinic
Our goal in the Tactical Athlete Rehabilitation Clinic is to provide specialized, state-of-the-art care that is tailored to the unique needs of tactical professionals. This includes:
- Efficient entry into the medical system for appropriate diagnosis of conditions/injuries and timely implementation of appropriate treatment
- Thorough evaluation and duty-specific rehab programs designed by clinicians experienced and skilled in Tactical Athlete programming
- Development and implementation of branch-specific return to duty protocols/functional testing
- Enhanced recovery and injury reduction measures including:
- Coordination with Sports Performance for development of Tactical Athlete group training for prevention of injury, maintenance and improvement of functional fitness levels.
- Group nutrition/cooking classes to optimize dietary intake to full recovery and enhance performance
- Group mindfulness classes to enhance sleep hygiene and stress reduction for optimal recovery and overall wellbeing
- Collaboration with tactical-centered research institutions and organizations to deliver consistent, quality care across south central Wisconsin with regional and national expansion in mind.
Based on your evaluation, our team will work with you to construct an individualized treatment plan designed to deliver fast and effective results. We will coach you through every stage of the process to get you back to duty as swiftly and safely as possible. Treatments utilized may include:
- Assessment and modification of patient-centered and duty-specific techniques to limit or reduce stress on injured joints and tissues, improve movement efficiency and enhance functional task capacity.
- Duty-specific strength and stability therapeutic exercise progressions
- Mobility and flexibility exercises
- Balance and proprioceptive training
- Use of pneumatic resistance machines (Keiser) to assess functional push/pull/rotation abilities with emphasis on stability, mobility or power
- Use of weighted dumbbells, kettlebells, sleds, weighted plates, to assess functional lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying
- Duty-specific energy system development
- Dynamic warm up and cool down strategies
- Anti-Gravity treadmill use for weightbearing progressions
- Aquatic therapy for reduced stress upper body progression or lower body weightbearing progressions
- Bracing, orthotics and taping technologies and techniques.
Referrals and Insurance Coverage
Brian works with youth and adults to facilitate return-to-sport and healthy, active lifestyles, with particular interest in throwing injuries (baseball, softball) and high-intensity workouts. Brian is a board certified orthopedic physical therapy spe...
Gary practices physical therapy at UW Health Sports Rehabilitation at the Research Park Clinic. His areas of special interests include lower-extremity strength deficits and lower-extremity injuries and post-concussion syndrome rehabilitation for athl...
Mike practices as an athletic trainer in Sports Rehabilitation at UW Health at The American Center, and provides outreach athletic training services to Madison College. Mike specializes in treating athletes, with an emphasis on the effect of movement...