- 3 medium zucchini, summer squash or eggplant
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground sirloin, chicken or turkey
- ½ tsp. coarse salt, divided
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups low fat cottage cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thick slices. Lightly salt the zucchini and set aside for 15 minutes. Blot the zucchini dry after it has rested.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add onion and saute 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Add ground beef and cook, using a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces as it browns, 4-5 minutes, and season with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, remaining salt and black pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes, until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan and egg. Spread ½ cup meat sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Make a layer of zucchini over the sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread ½ cup ricotta mixture over the zucchini and sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella. Follow these steps to make 3 total layers. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake 30 minutes uncovered. Add the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake uncovered until bubbling and the cheese is melted, 10 more minutes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.