Tortellini with Avocado-Pea Pesto
- 9 oz. pkg. whole wheat cheese tortellini
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup spring peas
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pine nuts)
- Zest and juice of ½ medium lemon
- ¼ tsp. coarse salt + more to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup + 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Drain and place in a bowl.
- Combine avocado, peas, basil, parsley, garlic, nuts, lemon zest and juice, ¼ tsp. Salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. While pulsing, drizzle up to ½ cup olive oil into the mixture, scraping sides regularly with a spatula, until pesto reaches desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Place in the refrigerator.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan to medium-high. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil and season with a dash of salt and pepper. Place tomatoes in the hot pan and cook 1-3 minutes, until tomatoes are blistered.
- Mix the pesto with the tortellini. Serve hot or cold with blistered tomatoes and garnish with Parmesan cheese.