Spicy Sofritas Veggie Bowls
- 1½ cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4-5 limes, divided
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 poblano pepper
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup fresh tomato salsa
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. canola oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 16 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1 (14 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 avocados , pitted
- ½ cup red onion, finely minced
- Cook the rice according to package directions, adding the juice of 2 limes. After cooking, fluff and toss with one cup fresh chopped cilantro and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Place the poblano pepper directly on a gas burner or under a high broiler, turning regularly, until it's skin is completely black, about 10 minutes. Place in a container fitted with a lid for about 5-10 minutes. Remove the skin, stem and seeds and place in a blender or food processor with the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, salsa, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and sugar. Pulse until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- Press the tofu with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat and stir fry the tofu until golden and crispy, scrambling the tofu into small bits with a spatula or wooden spoon. Add the sofritas sauce, ½ cup water and pinto beans. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, adding more water as necessary.
- Mash the avocados. Stir in the red onion, remaining cilantro, and juice of 2-3 limes. Season generously with salt.
- Layer the cilantro lime rice with the sofritas mixture and top with guacamole.