Savory Pear and Apple Soup
- 2 pounds ripe, but firm pears (peeled, cored and cut into large chunks)
- 3 sweet/tart apples (peeled, cored and cut into large chunks)*
- 1 small/medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup water (as needed)
- Salt, as needed
* Apple suggestions: Pink Lady, Jonagold, Pipin or Granny Smith.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and adjust rack to the upper third of the oven. Place the pears, apples and onions onto a lined baking sheet, toss with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Roast in oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until fork tender and slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Place half of the roasted pears, apples and onions in a blender. Puree in batches with the chicken broth and pour into large soup pot.
- Simmer soup over low heat and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. If soup is too thick, it can be adjusted with additional water. Serve warm.
Total fat: 11g
Saturated fat: 2g
Carbohydrates: 56 g
Fiber: 11 g
Protein: 3 g