Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup dried mushroom pieces (Italian porcini works well)
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Black or red pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Place the carrots, celery and onion in small, nonstick pan or dish with the olive oil. Toss to coat the vegetables. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and add the garlic. Toss again and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are browned. Remove pan from oven, add 1 cup of water and stir to loosen any stuck vegetables. Pour this into the pot with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve or use as the base for other soups, stews or pasta dishes.
Total fat: 5g
Saturated fat: 1g
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Protein: 2 g