Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 lbs.), peeled and cubed
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cubed
- ½ red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 small bay leaves
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup plain yogurt or crème fraiche
- Fresh sage, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash, apple and red onion on a large baking sheet and coat with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are tender and starting to brown.
Add vegetables to a large stock pot or Dutch oven set on high heat. Add broth, bay leaves, coriander, ginger and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are very tender. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
Add the yogurt or crème fraiche. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup directly in the pot until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Garnish with sage. Makes four to six servings.