Red Curry Lentils with Coconut Milk
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. butter (optional)
- 2 ½ Tbsp. red curry paste
- ½ Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1-2 tsp. granulated sugar or honey
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 (29 oz.) can tomato puree
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼-½ cup canned coconut milk
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Rinse the lentils and place them in a large, greased crock pot. Add the diced onions, garlic, ginger, butter (if using), curry paste, garam masala, turmeric, sugar/honey and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Mix the tomato puree and salt into the ingredients in the crock pot until combined. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours. Add water or vegetable broth if lentils have soaked up all of the liquid before they are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Stir in the coconut milk and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over rice or with naan, if desired.