Mac and Cheese Cups with Broccoli
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups cooked whole grain tubular pasta
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat 2 muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a separate large saucepan, heat butter at medium-high. Once melted, whisk in flour until combined. Allow to cook, 2-3 minutes, then slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer and stir, constantly, until thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Add cheese and stir, until melted. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Dump cooked broccoli and pasta into the pan with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese into each muffin cup. Top with shredded Parmesan. Bake 7-8 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and browned on top.
- Allow to cool, and then remove cups from muffin tin and place in a microwave safe container.
The Learning Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of the Learning Kitchen at UW Health at The American Center.
Browse more recipes from the Learning Kitchen