- 1 cup lentils*
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (or 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley)
* French green lentils or black Beluga lentils hold their shape best when cooked
- Rinse lentils. Cover with water by 3 inches and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cook until tender all the way through; about 30 minutes. Add more water if necessary. Drain and reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Toss the lentils with the red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, scallions and parsley. Stir to combine. If the lentils seem dry or hard to stir, loosen them with a bit of the reserved cooking liquid. Makes four servings.
Total fat: 15g
Saturated fat: 5g