Irish Oat Cranberry Scones
Serve these tender sweet scones with Irish Colcannon Soup, or another hearty soup. They are also great for a breakfast treat.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup rolled quick oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk or low fat vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to mix. Add butter in thin slices.
- Using a knife or a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles course corn meal.
- Add buttermilk or yogurt. Stir just until blended. Do not over mix. If mixture is too dry, add an extra tablespoon buttermilk or yogurt.
- There are two ways to form the dough:
- Divide dough into 4 large pieces. Place each piece on baking sheet and pat dough into a large circle, about 1 inch thick. After baking, cut each circle into small pie shaped wedges.
- Using teaspoons, drop rounded teaspoons of dough onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 - 10 minutes or just until lightly brown. Do not over-bake.
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Sodium: 218 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 12g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 5 g