Freekeh with Roasted Butternut Squash and Dried Cranberries
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked cracked freekeh
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 ½ cups dried cranberries
- ½ cup hazelnuts or cashews, chopped
- 2 tsp. honey
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a stock pot to medium heat. Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds. Add freekeh and saute 1-2 minutes, until translucent. Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, place a lid on the pot, and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until freekeh is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet and toss with remaining olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Roast squash for 20 minutes, or until tender. Allow to slightly cool.
- Toss butternut squash in a bowl with freekeh, thyme and dried cranberries. Top with hazelnuts or cashews and drizzle with honey.