This soup is simple to put together quickly. It has great flavor. Add a little heat with Asian chili garlic sauce.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) canned corn, drained
- dash chili garlic sauce to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium soup pot, fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan, crumble, and set aside.
- Discard bacon fat but reserve 1 tablespoon in pan. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil to deglaze the pan. Add evaporated milk, tomatoes, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Using an immersion hand held blender, puree until smooth. Add corn and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until flavors have blended.
- If desired puree the soup but the pureed corn will make the soup appear slightly curdled. Add chili garlic sauce to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top individual servings with crumbled bacon.
Total fat: 3g
Saturated fat: 1g
Sodium: 429 mg