Apple Beet Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa (soaked and then cooked - yields about 1.5 cups cooked quinoa)
- 1 cup roasted beets (finely chopped; see roasting directions below)
- 1 medium honey crisp apple (chopped)
- Juice from one lemon
- Juice from one orange
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, peel and rough chop the beets, toss in a little melted coconut oil and arrange them in one layer in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Roast for about 20-25 minutes (if they are still a bit al dente at that point, let them cook for another 10 minutes - the speed with which they cook really depends on the size of the pieces you're roasting). Out of the oven, put the beets in a medium bowl and refrigerate until you're ready to use.
- Pre-cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package and let it chill in the fridge, too, until you're ready to use it.
- Next, chop the apple. Combine the quinoa and chopped beets into a large bowl. Squeeze in juice from lemon, orange and olive oil and stir to combine well. Next add honey, salt and pepper.
- Thiis salad will take on a great purplish color if you let it sit overnight before serving.
Total fat: 11g