Road and parking lot construction in Madison, Wis. may result in travel delays and route changes to UW Health clinic and hospital locations. Please plan accordingly.Read more
Luke Funk, MD, MPH, FACS, is a minimally invasive and bariatric (weight management) surgeon at UW Health and associate professor at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Department of Surgery.
He treats obesity, hernia, gallstones and noncancerous disorders of the stomach and esophagus. Dr. Funk specializes in minimally invasive techniques for weight loss and metabolic diseases such as type 2 diabetes.
Dr. Funk is director of Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) Research and teaches physicians in his role at UW School of Medicine and Public Health. His research interests include health services research focused on overcoming barriers to obesity care.
Dr. Funk became a doctor to combine his interest in science and anatomy with a desire to help and interact with people.
As a University of Wisconsin fan, he loves going to Badger games with his family. In addition to football and basketball games, he loves golfing, being outdoors and spending time on the lakes.
I treat patients the way I want providers to treat my own family. I try to be an empathetic listener who is conscientious, detail-oriented and caring.
Education & credentials
- Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL
Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal)
- Epigastric Hernia
- Flank Hernia
- Laparoscopic Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Heller Myotomy
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication
- Laparoscopic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair
- Lumbar Hernia
- Minimally Invasive Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Open Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Robotic Laparoscopic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Umbilical Hernia
- Upper GI Surgery
- Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair
Research & publications
Dr. Funk’s research focuses on national patterns of surgical care, access to surgical care and improving the quality of surgical care.