Road and parking lot construction in Madison, Wis. may result in travel delays and route changes to UW Health clinic and hospital locations. Please plan accordingly.Read more
Dr. David Hennessy specializes in total joint replacement of the hip and knee and the surgical management of musculoskeletal tumors. He completed his residency at UW Hospital and Clinics and served as the orthopedic surgery chief resident. He then completed two additional subspecialty fellowships with advanced training in hip/knee replacement and orthopedic oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital.
He takes care of a wide range of hip and knee pathologies requiring joint replacement. He performs both anterior and posterior hip replacements and tailors his approach based on each patient’s unique clinical presentation. In addition to total hip and knee replacements he performs robotic-assisted partial knee replacements, complex joint reconstructions, and revision hip and knee replacements. His surgical technique focuses on minimally invasive approaches which limit tissue injury and enhance the speed of recovery. This surgical philosophy is complimented by the excellent team of physical therapists and supportive staff which help patients return to maximum function as soon as possible.
His care of musculoskeletal tumors includes both benign and malignant tumors, particularly the management of extremity and pelvic sarcomas. He cares for both adult and pediatric patients who have bone or soft tissue tumors. At UW we practice a multi-disciplinary approach and work in conjunction with the top tier team of medical and radiation oncologists at the UW Carbone Cancer Center.
Education & credentials
- Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA
Adult Reconstructive Surgery and Orthopedic Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI
- Anterior and Posterior Total Hip Replacement
- Joint Replacement Revision Surgery
- Management of Benign and Malignant Musculoskeletal Tumors
- Management of Metastatic Cancer Involving the Skeleton
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction and Replacement
- Orthopedic Oncology
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Robotic Hip and Knee Replacement
- Surgical Management of Extremity and Pelvic Sarcomas
- Total Knee Replacement