LSVT BIG for Parkinson's and Movement Disorders
LSVT BIG® is a specialized exercise program developed for people with Parkinson's disease and similar movement disorders. The UW Health Neurologic Therapy Team has providers certified to instruct participants in the LSVT BIG® treatment approach.
About LSVT BIG®
- Program participants attend physical therapy sessions for four consecutive days per week for four weeks.
- During sessions they learn specific exercises to reduce the movement impairments resulting from Parkinson's and other disorders.
- LSVT BIG treatment is focused on improving the amplitude or "bigness" of movement.
- The program is modified to included activities specific to the participant's goals.
- Once trained, participants can perform the exercises at home as part of a lifetime exercise routine.
Benefits of LSVT BIG®
Research has shown that the program can improve balance, trunk rotation, walking speed and increase step length.