Patient Rights and Responsibilities: Filing a Complaint

If you have questions about any aspect of your care or service, we encourage you to contact our Patient Relations department:

UW Health Patient Relations Department
600 Highland Avenue G7/210
Madison WI, 53792-2460


Other Organizations


You may also choose to file a complaint with one or more of the following organizations:

  • The State of Wisconsin
    Department of Health Services
    Division of Quality Assurance
    Bureau of Health Services

    P.O. Box 2969

    Madison, WI 53701-2969
    Phone: 1-800-642-6552


  • The Joint Commission

    Office of Quality Monitoring
    One Renaissance Boulevard
    Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
    Report a Complaint
    Phone: (800) 994-6610

    Fax: (630) 792-5636




    (855) 408-8557


    You can file an appeal with KEPRO, the Wisconsin Quality Improvement Organization, by calling (855) 408-8557, if you are a Medicare patient and have a quality-of-care complaint or think you are being discharged from the hospital too soon.

Where to File a Formal Service Delivery Discrimination Complaint

  • Wisconsin Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Enterprise Services, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, 1 W. Wilson, Room 561, PO Box 7850, Madison, WI 53707, voice (608) 266-9372, TTY/TDD 1-888-701-1251
  • U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Director, Office for Civil Rights Room 509F HHH Bldg., 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201, voice (202) 619-0403, TTY/TDD (202) 619-3257
  • U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, Region V, 233 Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60601, voice (312) 886-2359, TTY/TDD (312)353-5693

Where to File a Laboratory Test Complaint

  • Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Central Office, Division of Laboratory Services (CLIA), 1-877-267-2323, ext. 63531.
  • College of American Pathologists (CAP), 1-866-236-7212.