Orthopedic Trauma Surgery
The UW Health orthopedic trauma team is available 24 hours a day to provide care for people who experience a traumatic accident or injury.
About Orthopedic Trauma Surgery
UW Hospital's orthopedic trauma surgeons offer treatment for these unplanned, critical events - major and minor fractures, nerve and tendon injuries, joint dislocation and other orthopedic injuries. Our surgeons provide expert, compassionate care for patients and their families in these emergencies, beginning with new, less invasive techniques for highly specialized reconstructive surgeries.
Level One Trauma Center
As a Level One Trauma Center, UW Hospital provides the highest level of emergency care in with state-of-the-art facilities and services. Our orthopedic surgeons are fellowship-trained and experts in orthopedic surgery, so our patients receive highly specialized emergency and follow-up care.
Additionally, UW Hospital's high-tech imaging and surgical equipment can give patients and families choices in their treatment or therapy. For example, depending on the injury, patients may have surgical, medicinal or therapeutic options - or a combination of all three types of therapy.
Our experienced musculoskeletal trauma team works with the rest of the UW Health trauma team to provide comprehensive care to acutely injured patients. This multidisciplinary team includes general surgery trauma surgeons, nursing staff, mid-level providers and therapists.
- Acute and subacute fracture care
- Complicated fractures including pelvic and acetabular (hip) fractures, inter- or peri-articular fractures (involving the joint), multiple extremity fractures and fracture dislocations
- Non-healing fractures of extremities, including malunion, delayed union and nonunion
- Complex orthopedic reconstruction or osteomyelitis (bone infection) cases involving the extremities and the pelvis
- Less invasive plating techniques featuring percutaneous techniques to insert and anchor plates, which can result in less scarring, faster healing and fewer complications
- Patients with multiple injuries, who require the expertise and services provided by a Level One trauma team