Get Involved in Promoting Organ, Tissue and Eye Donation
Get Involved with
UW Organ and Tissue Donation in Madison, Wisconsin, offers the following resources in an effort to keep potential donors and their families informed about organ donation.
- April 11-13: "The Tin Woman," Oshkosh Community Players, Grand Opera House, 100 High Ave., Oshkosh, WI 54901. A young woman receives a heart transplant and has survivor's guilt, while the parents of the donor are suffering as they mourn, then the recipient meets the donor family. This group produces one play, out of their three plays each season, that tackles a topic for which they want to raise social awareness. In 2019, they would like to raise awareness about organ donation. The Oshkosh Community Players also will partner with UW OTD in fundraising in April. Purchase tickets
- April 12: National Blue/Green Day at Beloit Memorial Hospital, Beloit Memorial, 1969 W Hart Rd, Beloit, WI, 10am-2pm.
- April 12: Celebrate National Donate Life Blue/Green Day with the UW-Madison SODA (Student Organ Donation Advocates) organization's Donor Registration Drive, East Campus Mall, 1-4pm.
- May 4: Central Wisconsin Gift of Life's Scavenger Hunt. Join the fun with your team of four to six people competing in a scavenger hunt with challenges from a large list provided at the beginning of the race. 10am registration; 11am-3pm scavenger hunt in Wisconsin Rapids and surrounding communities in your vehicle; 3-6pm light meal, bucket auction, 50/50 raffle and live auction. Teams register and leave from Ridges Golf Course, 2311 Griffith Ave, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494. Proceeds benefit Restoring Hope Transplant House, Middleton, and UW Organ and Tissue Donation's Donor Education Fund. Visit Facebook page for event registration details
- May 11: Community Health and Safety Fair, Oconto Falls Elementary School, 415 Marie Volk Dr, Oconto Falls, WI 54154, 9am-1pm. Drop in with your family and friends to obtain a free blood pressure screening, visit the vendor booths, attend presentations in classrooms, see the Jaws of Life and a fire truck and safety demo, watch a live police K-9 demonstration and observe Eagle III ground and air medical transportation. UW Organ and Tissue Donation will have a booth offering education about organ, tissue and eye donation and the opportunity to register as a donor on Wisconsin's donor registry. Children will enjoy a Teddy Bear First Aid Clinic, face painting, balloon animals, jugglers, a coloring contest and bicycle giveaway.
- May 11: Waupun High School Girls' Soccer Team Annual "Donate Life Orange Out" Tournament, Waupun Junior/Senior High School soccer fields, 801 Lincoln St, Waupun, WI 53963. Donor registration tabling event.
- May 11: Vernon Memorial Hospital Second Annual Community Wellness Event, Vernon Memorial Healthcare Wellness Facility, 1130 Nelson Pkwy, Viroqua, WI 54665. Visit Dottie the Donor Dot and learn about organ, tissue and eye donation, in addition to health screenings and the opportunity to visit other informational tables, 9am-3pm.
- May 18: Cystic Fibrosis "Great Strides" Walk at Fireman's Park 7400 Lee St, Middleton, WI 53562, 9:30am-1pm. Registration for this event is free, but walkers and teams are encouraged to raise funds. Check-in at 9:30am; walk starts at 10:30am. Visit the UW OTD Organ Donation Education table to learn more about registering as an organ, tissue and eye donor. Visit with Dottie Donor Dot from 10am-noon. Because of funds raised from Great Strides, people with CF are living longer, healthier lives and pursuing their dreams.
- May 19: Sauk Prairie Hospital Ambulance Open House, 470 Oak St Prairie du Sac, WI. This family-friendly event allows you to get up close and personal with UW’s MedFlight Helicopter and the pilot and healthcare staff who fly with it. A donor registration drive takes place at the UW OTD table, along with other activities, 1-4pm.
- June 1 and June 13: Visit the Live. Love. Donate organization’s table at the Oshkosh Farmers Market, 547 N Main, Oshkosh, WI 54901. Wander this wonderful outdoor farmer’s market venue to learn more about donation and register new organ, tissue and eye donors, 6am-1pm. Follow this link for more details.
- June 21-23: UW Organ and Tissue Donation Tent, 14th Hole, at the American Family Insurance Championship PGA Tour, University Ridge Golf Course, Madison, WI. The American Family Insurance Championship returns to Wisconsin. American Family Insurance is honored to join Steve Stricker in welcoming back the Champions Tour competitors for another year of great golf. The American Family Insurance Championship is proud to once again support the American Family Children’s Hospital. UW OTD has the honor of representing pediatric donor heros and give hope to those awaiting transplant with a booth to provide information, recognize registered donor heroes on a hero board or “Tee Up” and register as a new organ, tissue and eye donor on Wisconsin’s donor registry. 9am-4pm
- July 13: Fitchburg Festival of Speed, Donor Dash 5K (honoring organ donor Andrew Neleson) Agora Pavilion, 5511 E Cheryl Parkway, Fitchburg, WI, 7am-4pm. UW OTD’s Donor Education Fund is the charitable benefactor and volunteers serve as course marshals, tent volunteers and at an informational booth to register new organ, tissue and eye donors. The Fitchburg Festival of Speed is an all-day festival playing host to the Wisconsin Cycling Association State Criterium Championships. Spectating is FREE and open to the public with a Kids Zone that's family-friendly. Live music begins at 6:00pm with an opening act followed by a national headliner.
- July 13: Fifth Annual Emily C. Lyons Golf Outing, Old Hickory Golf Club, W7596 WI-33, Beaver Dam, WI 53916, 10am-7pm. Emily C. Lyons was just 19 years old when she became a donor hero, however her life still lives on through outreach. On March 2, 2015, her final wish to be an organ and tissue donor was granted. Emily saved six lives, gave sight to two others, and improved the lives of countless others with her last selfless act. Enjoy a day of family, friends, fun, entertainment and golf as we raise money for the Emily C. Lyons' Memorial Scholarship, as well as the UW Organ and Tissue Donor Education Fund. For more information, head to the event information site.
- July 27: National Kidney Foundation of Wisconsin’s Capital City 5K Run/Walk, Goodman Pool, 325 W Olin Ave, Madison, WI 53715, 3-9pm. The National Kidney Foundation of Wisconsin (NKFW) its annual family run/walk—the Capital City 5K. The run/walk begins at twilight (6:30 p.m.) on Capitol Square, winding along the bike path next to Lake Monona and ending at Goodman Park with a private pool party. UW OTD will have a booth during and after the run/walk, in addition to other organizations and vendors. All proceeds support the programs and services of the NKFW. More details and registration information can be found here.
- August 3, 17, 31: Visit the Live. Love. Donate organization’s table at the Oshkosh Farmers Market, 547 N Main, Oshkosh, WI 54901. Wander this wonderful outdoor farmer’s market venue to learn more about donation and register new organ, tissue and eye donors, 6am-1pm. Follow this link for more details.
- August 25: Palmer’s Steakhouse Tent Event is an annual fundraiser to benefit Cystic Fibrosis, a UW Health lung transplant research program, UW Organ and Tissue Donation Donor Education Fund and Donate Life Wisconsin. The event takes place outside 122 E. Capitol Drive, Hartland, WI, 1-7pm. Included in your admission is all-you-can-eat delicious food, all-you-can-drink beer, wine, and soda, live music and dancing. Register as a new organ, tissue and eye donor at the UW Health table and enjoy games, raffles, auctions, and more! Tickets $30 in advance (online registration available in May) or $40 on the day of the event.