Print Friendly Page
Protocol No. UW13089
Principal Investigator Neuman, Heather
Age Group Adult
Sponsor Type Externally Peer-Reviewed; Institutional
Title A Randomized Controlled Trial Evaluating the Impact of Pre-Operative Web-based Breast Cancer Information on the Quality of Patient Decision-Making
Objective The purpose of this research is to help us understand what types of web-based information may be most helpful for patients making decisions about surgery for early stage breast cancer. Two types of web-based breast cancer information are being compared in this study, and if you choose to participate, will be randomly assigned to receive one of the types of information.
Treatment Two types of of web-based breast cancer information are being compared in this study, and you have been randomly assigned to receive one of the types of information.
Description If you decide to participate in this research, you will be asked to review web-based breast cancer information linked to an email. You can spend as much as or as little time as you want reviewing the breast cancer link. This information should be reviewed prior to your appointment with your surgeon. You will be asked to complete a brief questionnaire before you see your surgeon (about 5 minutes). You will also be asked to complete a brief follow-up survey that will be emailed to you after your surgeon visit (about 5 minutes). Your active study participation will end after completing both surveys. The research team will then review your medical record to collect basic information about your cancer and your surgery, but no additional action from you will be needed at that time.
- New diagnosis of Stage 0-3 breast cancer
- Anticipated to receive definitive breast surgery with curative intent
- Female and 18 years of age or older
- Patients receiving a second opinion after a breast cancer consultation with a different provider are excluded
- Email or internet access required. Patients without internet access have the option of reviewing a video version of the decision aid within the clinic setting or at home (outside of the study).
Applicable Disease Sites Breast
Participating Institutions UW Hospital and Clinics