UW Hospital Designated a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care
Blue Distinction is a nationwide program that creates an unprecedented level of health care transparency for consumers and providers. Driven by quality, collaboration and affordability, Blue Distinction strengthens consumer engagement and provider partnerships through new specialty centers, which offer the best practices and standards of care in bariatric surgery, cardiac care and transplant services.
The process used to select Blue Distinction CentersSM is based on clinical data supplied by hospitals. Each facility's structure, processes and care outcomes are rigorously evaluated. The criteria for designation include nationally endorsed quality measures, developed in collaboration with medical experts and professional organizations.
The criteria for becoming a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care include:
- Having a range of cardiac services
- Full accreditation by the Joint commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- Sub-specialty board-certification for interventional cardiologists and cardiac surgeons and 24/7 coverage for primary angioplasty (heart attack patients) and coronary artery bypass
- A comprehensive quality management program
- Performing a minimum of 200 coronary interventions (angioplasty and stents) and at least 150 open adult cardiac surgery procedures per year
- Performance on process care measures for patients with acute heart attack, heart failure, coronary interventions (angioplasty and stents)
- Performance on risk adjusted mortality for heart attack and coronary bypass procedures
Date Published: 07/03/2007