Reception Honors Military Service
MADISON - UW Health honored the service of employees who serve in the United States Military and employees with family members in service with a reception at UW Hospital on Friday, November 9.
"We would just like to echo the sentiment expressed on the plaques presented today - recognizing the commitment of so many of you to military service in support of our national defense," said William Schrum, Vice President of Human Resources for UW Medical Foundation. "We want you to know that we hold you in the highest esteem and wish every day for the continued safety and speedy return of all those still in harm's way."
"We can only begin to understand the tremendous sacrifices that are required of the individuals who serve and of their loved ones," said UW Hospital and Clinics interim President and CEO Carl Getto. "This reception is our small way of saying thank you, of showing our support, and of honoring the enormous commitment that you have made to keeping our country safe and strong."
UW Health employees currently serving in the Military who were honored at the reception include:
- Robin Aldrich, Licensed Practical Nurse at UW Health Fort Atkinson, served in the Air Force National Guard since 1989. Today she serves as a training manager, ensuring that members of her unit are kept current in their skills/training so that they may remain ready to deploy at any time.
- Jeff Ethington, a student in the Telecommunications department, was deployed to Iraq for one and one-half years beginning in 2005 and was redeployed to Iraq in 2006.
- Senior Seaman Boatswains Mate Joshua Fetterman, a Medical Communications Specialist in Telecommunications, served in the U.S. Coast Guard in the North Atlantic from 1995-1999. He served as a coxswain and supervisor of crews performing search and rescue.
- Tom Hankins, Financial Analyst for UW Medical Foundation, has served in the Army since 1984 and he currently holds the ranks as Sergeant First Class. Tom has served in Desert Storm and was stationed in Saudia Arabia. He has served in the Joint Endeavor and was stationed in Landstuhl, Germany. He currently works in the Emergency Preparedness Liaison Office for Wisconsin as operations NCO.
- Lisa Kromanaker, a Registered Nurse specializing in Obstetrics/Gynecology at UW Health East Towne, is a Commander in the U.S. Navy and serves in the Navy Nurses Corps. She has been serving in Germany since October 2006, caring for wounded warriors returning from Iraq, Afghanisan and members stationed in Europe.
- U.S. Army Specialist Angela Kadlec, a Senior Imaging Specialist, served in the Medical Services Corps from February 2003 to April 2004. Stationed in Kuwait, she worked in a hospital there as an X-ray tech.
- Platoon Sergeant Jeffrey Ludolph, a Senior Maintenance Mechanic, served in an infantry company of the U.S. Army and was assigned to security force operations at Camp Victory in Kuwait, providing logistical support at Ali Al Salem Air Base from August 2005 to November 2006.
- Joseph P. McMahon, MD, practices pulmonary and critical care medicine. Dr. McMahon serves in the Army Reserve and was recently promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. Stationed at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, his duties included the provision of pulmonary and critical care services to soldiers and other military personnel supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Eric Pollock, a Licensed Practical Nurse at UW Health Beaver Dam, is a Medic in the U.S. Army. Eric's unit was mobilized for Operation Enduring Freedom and sent to Fort McCoy to be deployed to Iraq.
- Matt Remus, a Nursing Assistant on our Family Practice and Forensics unit, served as an Infantry Specialist of the U.S. Army when he was deployed to Iraq from March of 2003 to April of 2004 and later to Kuwait from August 2005 to November 2006. In both deployments, Matt was responsible for convoy operations, providing base security and entry and exit control.
- Daniel Resnick, MD, a neurosurgeon, is a Major, MC in the U.S. Army Reserve. He was stationed at Fort Bliss from 2006 to 2007. He was the staff neurosurgeon at William Beaumont Medical Center
- Nurse Corps Officer Kristine J. Schultz, a Nurse Clinician at American Family Children's Hospital, dedicated much of her career to military service, including a deployment to Saudi Arabia, where she was in the first line of providing stable care for surgery, stabilization and transfers. Kristine has now retired from the military.
- Matt Stai, a Clinical Applications Specialist in the Information Services department, was stationed in Balad Air Base in Iraq in 2006. He served in the U.S. Air Force National Guard as an F-16 Weapons System Craftsman Load Crew Member.
- Amy Walker, OD, has served in the Air National Guard for 20 years. She is a Colonel, Commander of the 183rd Medical Group, leading a team of 53 medical personnel, including physicians, nurses, nursing technicians, dentists public health and bioenvironmental engineering.
- Terry Wilkerson, Vice President of Facilities, served as Commander of the Ninth Naval Construction Regiment, which provided construction and engineering support to the First Marine Expeditionary Force, Forward in Western Iraq from January to October 2006.
Servicemen and Servicewomen related to UW Health employees were also honored:
- U.S. Marine Corps Sergeant Kevin M. Allen is the son of Holly J. Scott, who works in the mailroom at the Excelsior business office.
- Private First Class Kyle R. Boeck is the son of Deborah Boeck, who works as a Department Assistant at West Clinic.
- Dr. E.J. Borman, a captain in the U.S. Air Force, is the husband of Dr. Allison Grayez, a UW Medical Foundation radiologist.
- Payroll Specialst Marcia Boyd has a niece and three nephews currently serving: Noel Reeson is a Sergeant in the Army; Sergeant Noel Reeson is a Retrans team chief; Jarrod Reeson is a Human Intelligence Collector in the U.S. Army; Jess Reeson is a Flight Engineer in the U.S. Air Force; James Edward Talley is currently serving in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps.
- Senior Airman Joshua M. Cockroft is the son of Elaine Graber, an Registred Nurse on the Transplant team.
- Jess Denton, Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Air Force, is the son of Geralyn Thomas, who works in the Radiology department.
- Staff Sergeant Sharon DiPiazza-Fritts of the U.S. Army is the sister of Heather Shemanski, who works in the laboratory at West Clinic.
- Mark Draves, Lance Corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, is the son of Mylah Draves, a Senior Nursing Assistant in the Orthopedics unit.
- U.S. Army Sergeant Anthony Harrison is the son of Rebecca Harrison, Registered Nurse Team Leader at Immediate Care, East Towne.
- Brian Kuska, a Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, is the son of Bonnie Kuska, a Coding Review Specialist in the department of Dermatology.
- Shane Larson, a member of the Air Guard who currently serves in Security Forces in Iraq, is the nephew of Jane Jelle, Medical Receptionist at UW Health Fitchburg.
- Gunnery Sergeant James K. Macfarlane, Jr. of the United States Marine Corps is the brother of Gwen Klinkner, who works in our Nursing Practice Innovation department.
- U.S. Army Specialist Steven N. Mazanowicz is the son of Melody Mazanowicz, who works in our Quality Resources department.
- Robert T. Miller, a Major in the U.S. Army, is the brother of Jennifer Miller, Information Systems Analyst and PeopleSoft Materials Manager.
- U.S Army Staff Sergeant, Assistant Squad Leader John F. Mulcahy is the father of Jennifer Mulcahy, Certified Medical Assistant at UW Health Cross Plains.
- West Clinic Nurse Clinician Laura Norby has a son, Robert Norby, who is a Specialist in the U.S. Army.
- Joseph Pagliaro, Master Sergeant in the U.S. Army, is the son of Pat Pagliaro, a Medical Receptionist in the department of Pediatrics.
- Sergeant Marcus A. Persson of the U.S. Army is the son of Terese Persson, who works in Registration.
- Third-class Petty Officer Jared T. Portz of the U.S. Navy is the son of Pat Portz, who works as a Nurse Practitioner in the American Family Children's Hospital.
- Sergeant Shandra Pulver, who works as a Helicopter Mechanic Crew Chief for the 147th Aviation Regiment, is the daughter of Debbie Mathews, a Phlebotomist at West Clinic.
- Sergeant First Class John A. Ranum is the son of Janet Ranum, who works at West Clinic.
- Infantry Corporal Jason M. Schultz of the U.S. Marine Corps is the son of Kristine Schultz, who was recognized for her own career of military service.
- U.S. Army Warrant Officer II Jason Sorenson is the brother of Kristin Kurtz, Senior Patient Resources Assistant at UW Medical Foundation.
- Sergeant Adam Weisse is the husband of Kelly Weisse, a Medical Technologist in our Microbiology laboratory.
- U.S. Army Specialist Terry Williams is the son of Barbara Williams, who works in General Medicine and Geriatrics as a Senior Nursing Assistant.
- Sergeant Jay K. Winn of the U.S. Marine Corps is the brother of Sari Winn, who works for University Station's Ophthalmology department as a Scheduler.
- Jack Zander, Jr., a Medic currently serving in Iraq, is the son of Amara Nicola-Zander, a Registered Nurse in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
Date Published: 12/28/2007